Stuffed Pepper Tomato Casserole Recipe
1 cup parboiled rice
2 medium-size tomatoes
2 large yellow peppers
1 large green pepper
1 medium-size onion
1/2 pound sweet Italian-sausage links
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
3 9-ounce packages frozen creamed spinach, thawed
1. Prepare rice as label directs; set aside.
2. Cut a 1/4-inch-thick slice from stem end of each tomato. Into small bowl, scoop pulp and juice from tomatoes; set aside tomato shells and pulp. Cut each pepper lengthwise in half; remove membrane and discard seeds. Chop onion.
3. In 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepot, heat 3 quarts water to boiling. Add peppers; heat to
boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until peppers are almost tender. With slotted spoon, remove peppers and invert onto paper towels to drain.
4. Meanwhile, remove casings from sausage. In 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage and onion, stirring to break up sausage, until onion is tender and sausage is no longer pink. Stir in tomato pulp with its liquid; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cook until liquid almost evaporates;
remove skillet from heat. Stir in cooked rice, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, and coarsely ground pepper.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Fill vegetables with rice mixture. Pour creamed spinach into 13" by 9" glass baking dish. Arrange stuffed vegetables in creamed spinach. Cover baking dish with a tent of foil. Bake 35 minutes or until rice mixture and creamed spinach are hot and vegetables are fork-tender.