African Sweet Potato Stew Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups chopped cabbage (to save time, use packaged slaw mix)
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 18-ounce can sweet potatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can tomato wedges or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1/3 cup natural peanutbutter
- Heal oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in cabbage and garlic; Cook, stirring, until cabbage is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tomato juice, apple juice, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; Cover.
- Simmer until hot and bubbling, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in green beans and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter until well blended and hot, about 1 minute.
- Serve stew with crusty bread and a salad, or spoon it over rice or mashed potatoes.
Show Reviews (1)